Benchie of the Week: Victor Dubbs

Kaedryn Keller, Staff Writer

While some athletes work hard to earn a spot on varsity, there are a select few who never play in a single game. These “athletes” are often neglected when team recognition comes around, but benchies are a crucial part of the Panther power house. While Lord Farquaad in the hit movie Shrek once tried to round-up all magical creatures, a few of them managed to escape. These magical creatures went on to create the most popular game in the world: soccer. Our newest Benchie of the Week comes to us straight from the pitch, or rather, the bench: junior Victor Dubbs.

Victor has been a part of the Upper Saint Clair boys soccer program since he was a freshman contributor and captain on the most well-known squad at the high school: the freshman boys soccer team. While many girls say he has bloomed into a handsome young man, he has not yet reached such heights in the beautiful game. Although he started off actually getting solid minutes during his freshman and sophomore soccer campaigns, Dubb-step (as his legions of lady fans call him) eventually wound his way to an esteemed spot on the Varsity bench.

As his junior year progressed, Victor decided to form a group, along with his fellow benchies, for the athletes who dominate (the sidelines) in their respective sports. They named themselves the Bench Boys– going so far as to create a Twitter account to give live updates on the happenings of the Varsity soccer bench. They have accumulated over 147 followers and continue to dish out fire tweets with every goal scored (not by them, of course).

I recently had the opportunity to speak with Victor (he’s harder to find offseason when he can be anywhere but the bench) and to ask him about his experiences as one of the founding Bench Boys.

Q: What was your favorite part about being on the bench this past season?

A: One of my favorite parts was being put in during our playoff game for three-ish minutes. It was crazy that my coach believed in me despite my lack of solid play. I didn’t get a lot of chances out there, but it felt great and gives me hope for next season. I honestly appreciated him putting me on the field.

Q: Three minutes! That’s more time than most benchies see in their entire career. Do you have any advice for the seniors out there who will join the bench for their final season next year?

A: If ya don’t wanna ride the bench, work harder. If you don’t prove you deserve to be on the field, you won’t.

Q: What are your future plans for the bench?

A: I’m going to try my hardest to not be there next soccer season.  I will always remember my days as a Bench Boy fondly, but I hope I’ve put them behind me.  It’s time to pass the torch.
Well Victor, we hear you loud and clear. But once a benchie, always a benchie. Best of luck in your future soccer career!